Tuesday, February 7, 2017

RICHARD HATCH R.I.P.

Battlestar Galatica star and Golden Globe nominee Richard Hatch passed away today at the age of 71. Hatch originated the role of Captain Apollo in the classic 1978 sci-fi series- a main TV staple of my youth. Surrounded by an ensemble of salty pilot characters, Hatch's Apollo was the cool adult in the room. Dashing and heroic, he was also the sweet, responsible guy who adopted the orphan boy, Boxy, after the human race was almost wiped out by the robotic Cylon invaders. He played a great leader and role model, who was in turn being mentored by his kindly admiral father, Adama (portrayed by Bonanza's Lorne Greene). I really looked up to Apollo as a kid! And I think every boy in my class that year sported his haircut. Hatch kept one foot in the Battlestar Galactica universe over the years, penning five novels, developing a new series, and starring as the dark criminal-turned politician, Tom Zarek, in the the 2003 re-boot of BSG. When I met Hatch at a convention a couple of years ago he was excited to talk about his continuing efforts to produce new material based on Battlestar Galactica and on his Star Trek character, Anaxar. Most recently I lobbied for him to visit an upcoming convention in northern California. BSG creator Ronald Moore tweeted: "Richard Hatch was a good man, a gracious man, and a consummate professional. His passing is a heavy blow to the entire BSG family." And BSG co-star Edward James Olmos tweeted: "Richard Hatch you made our universe a better place We love you for it. Rest In Peace my friend @SoSayWeAll the Admiral!" So sorry to hear about the loss of one of my childhood heroes. He is survived by his son, Paul.


No comments:

Post a Comment