Saturday, May 6, 2017

THEREMIN PAGE

I was raised on old records by Blues greats such as Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, and John Lee Hooker, so I never really got into Led Zeppelin. At the time it all sounded like too much borrowing and noodling on the guitar. But I explored the band as an adult and came to enjoy how they expanded the form. I was especially intrigued by Led Zep's commitment to interaction between the voice and guitar. My ears were finally ready for their brand of electric experimentation. It's been some years now since I listened to them, so I revisited The Song Remains the Same film last night. Sure, lots of swagger there, but I did enjoy this Theremin sequence from Whole Lotta LoveI admit, I even enjoyed seeing Plant's fantasy bits filmed in Wales. I've become a regular Wales traveler in the past couple of years, so just soaked in the landscape and didn't mind the sword-quest story too much. If anyone saw the recent doc It Might Get Loud, you'll get that I kept thinking of an elderly Page over his Theremin- still grinning like a kid. Here's Plant and Page working the Theremin-voice improv in the 70s. Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment