Sunday, January 8, 2017

BOWIE MTV CHALLENGE

Today would have been David Bowie's 70th birthday. Although he's been gone for almost a year now, I still have difficulty finding the words to express just how important he was to me. Creative, diverse, and inspiring, DB was like a favorite cousin I never met, though I did see him perform five or six times over the years. I used to write a site called Art Pioneers and the last entry was to announce the release of Bowie's album, Lazerus. Little did I know he would pass away the very next day. I wanted to celebrate his birthday today as a hero of the Atari Days era. I may post more clips later, but I want to begin with this interesting interview he did with MTV's Mark Goodman in 1983, where he challenged them to come clean on their lack of coverage of black artists. I like how he continued to press the issue- a cool moment of criticism for the medium within which he was operating. Rebel Rebel. Check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment