Friday, December 30, 2016

ELEPHANT TALK

I had such a fun meeting today with a friend who shares a lot of interests in music, film, and culture. We chatted quite a bit about Prog Rock and I was reminded of this song, "Elephant Talk", by King Crimson. It was the first track on the album, Discipline (1981), which featured a new group lineup with Robert Fripp, Adrian Belew, Tony Levin, and Bill Bruford. My college sweetheart and her brother introduced me to many great bands, including Crimson and the solo work of Fripp and Eno. When I heard Discipline, I was completely taken with Belew's vocals and Levin's stick patterns. And similar to the lyrics of Talking Heads songs at that time, I was really interested in "Elephant Talk" for its sociological examination of language and ideas. I never got to see King Crimson, but here's a really cool video of them performing "Elephant Talk" on the show, Fridays, December 4th, 1981. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment