Saturday, October 22, 2016

CARTOON EXHIBIT

Friends in the Connecticut area might be interested in checking out a cartoon art exhibit currently running at the Wilton library (through Nov 11th). Comic strips have been an integral part of our cultural fabric for over 100 years. Fans will get to see original work in this show from the likes of Hagar the Horrible, Hi and Lois, and Beetle Bailey. Artists on display include my pals Chance Browne, Brian Walker, Bill Janocha, and many others. I can't think about being a kid in the 1970s without fondly remembering what it was like to grow up around Dik Browne and his family. I'll never forget the day Dik's son Chance gave me a paperback book of the first Hagar collection and said, "Check out my dad's new strip!" (Chance also gave me my first guitar). I watched Dik and Chris Browne produce comics in their basement studio for years (when I wasn't playing in their pool). When I moved away I lobbied my local paper to run Hagar and then dutifully clipped the strip out of the newspaper every day for my scrapbook. Seeing their comics and holiday cards kept the Brownes close. They also inspired me to become a cartoonist. Although I was able to publish comics in a number of national magazines, their lasting influence is on me as a teacher- passing along the love of cartooning to my students now for almost thirty years. As an adult I became close with the Walkers, with whom the Brownes still produce Hi and Lois. In 2005 I published the book, Mort Walker Conversations, for the comic series by University Press of Mississippi. I love this group of artists! Don't miss the show if you are in the area. More info about the exhibit here. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment