Monday, January 4, 2016

TURTLE POWER

The most significant story arc when I was coming of age was Frank Miller's run on Daredevil. I was already interested in traditional Japanese art, but Miller's words and pictures really helped to fuel a larger passion for Japanese culture and history. Along with his Japan-influenced Wolverine and Ronin mini-series (and Clavell's Shogun!), I was primed for Japanese Studies in college. I even moved there to work for a few years in a small town in the northeast part of the main island. I'll share more about that story soon, but Miller's work plays heavily into a current fascination I have with the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I totally missed out on these guys during the 1980s and early 1990s. You see, I was in college when TMNT made its debut (in May 1984), and then living in Japan during the first big wave of cartoons and toys. By the time I moved back to Greenfield, MA (just up the road from Mirage Studios in Northampton), I kind of dismissed the whole thing as a derivative of the Miller series I had loved- plus a dose of X-Men and Fantastic Four. I was young and quick to sum up my impressions, and boy was I wrong. IDW just teamed up with DC to release a Batman/TMNT crossover, so, being a Batman fan, I finally had the right doorway for me to find my way into their world. I've spent the last couple of weeks super inspired to take my first real look at what Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird were up to back then, and I'm pleasantly surprised to discover some really fantastic and original work! Any references to Miller (via the dialog, characters, pacing) is now just a fun reference within the larger context of the Ninja Turtle world- brief nods of familiarity for my inner-fan, if you will. I then had fun chatting with Kevin at a convention over the weekend (we have a mutual friend). For a few minutes we talked like two fans about Daredevil and old comics- it was awesome. When I got home, I discovered a new documentary film about the history of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles called Turtle Power. The DVD is on Amazon, but you can also check it out first for free on Youtube (see below). If you are a long-time fan, or someone like me who is new to the Turtles, this doc is a great overview! One of the things I loved most about the movie, bedsides helping me catch up with 30 years of history, was recognizing Kevin and Peter as fellow cartoonists who loved the stuff I loved back then. The film takes us on a ride with them via vintage videos and interviews, as their creation went from cottage industry to global phenomenon. I thought back to those early years when I was living in western Mass after Japan, aware of their studio down the road, and I felt a new glow of pride for those local boys. I used to frequent their Words & Pictures Museum and wish that was still around to inspire young artists- but you can still visit the virtual museum here. If you are interested to learn more, check out the ongoing TMNT series and reprint collections by IDW, and the 2003 cartoon on Youtube (closer in tone to the comic than the original cartoon from the 1980s). Coincidentally, Mark Hamill announced some details today about his upcoming role as a villain in the new TMNT cartoon from Nickelodeon. Have fun, Mark! You're joining another great universe of fascinating characters and great stories. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment